Wednesday, February 7, 2007

"Who ate all my Kashi?"



Today I sat down to catch up on the latest episode of ABC's What About Brian, and I decided that through the entire one hour episode I would write down all of the product placement that I saw. At first I wondered if I would find any, and then the show literally opened with one of the main characters looking in to an empty cereal box and saying "who ate all my Kashi?". From there she went to the refridgerator, took out a carton of tropicana orange juice, and grabbed a package of pop-tarts from the cupboard. It was actually fun to pay attention, because I would have never normally noticed these things!

Watch ABC Shows!



Although the product placement calmed down from there, some of the other brands that I noticed were Glade plug-ins in the wall, a bottle of Tabasco sauce on the table, and a bottle of Coffeemate creamer in the door of the fridge. One of the characters took his daughters fishing wearing a nice looking Carhartt jacket. Yet another character, a young trendy woman, carried her Vera Bradley luggage in to the cabin where all of the friends were staying for the weekend. I noticed that they were all drinking the same kind of beer throughout the whole episode, bottles with a yellow label with the word cervesa on it, but I did not recognize the brand. The same young trendy woman pulled up in a very new looking black and sporty Audi, while the family with three kids pulled up to the cabin in a Chevy Venture minivan.

I was amazed by all the little things I could find when I was looking hard enough. And now, looking back at my list, I realize that all of the products were placed correctly with the right characters to tell the story of the brand. There is of course the family with the minivan, the outdoorsy dad in a carhartt, the young fit woman eating Kashi brand cereal, and the trendsetter woman with the designer bags and brand new Audi.

It was very interesting to see what products could be seen in this show since it is not as popular as some of ABC's primetime dramas. I will continue to keep an eye out for all the product placement I can find!

No comments: