Monday, February 26, 2007

Online Video

Recently I have found myself watching my favorite shows days later online more and more. With a busy class schedule and plenty of extracurricular activities, it is the perfect solution since I don't have TiVo or DVR. I jump online, type in the name of the show on google or yahoo, and there it is. It's as easy as that. And although I notice the three or four ads spread throughout each episode, especially because you cannot continue until the ads are finished, it doesn't bother me until they use the same exact three or four ads throughout.

I just read the article "Online Video Saves Commercials" from PC Magazine, and the author brings up a very good point. These few ads throughout the online airings of shows allow marketers to target a very specific audience who chose to watch the show and therefore will sit through the few ads to see the entire episode.

I got thinking about how this could relate to product placement. This provides a great opportunity to perhaps integrate your brand in to the actual episode through product placement, as well as advertise in the short commercial break. This of course would have to be done subtly or not too overwhelmingly as viewers could potentially get annoyed with the brand. Because traditional commercials are on the decline, this is a prospective idea for many brands to use to get their brand out there and increase their brand awareness and brand equity.





Want to see my current favorite shows online? visit ABC.com for Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, What About Brian, and Brothers and Sisters!
or check out
Prison Break's Myspace to watch episodes of my number one favorite right now!



I also recently visited a few product placement and media related blogs out there and left comments promoting this blog. I'm learning quickly how this works!

1 comment:

Kim Gregson said...

10 points for the week
plus 5 points extra for promoting your blog. Keep us posted if you get any responses